Michael Bird was one of the first 25 Certified Havening Practitioners in the world and has practiced as a Counselling Therapist/Life Coach/Sports Psychologist for more than 20 years.
In that time he has been fortunate to have been able to support his clients through a process of discovery, acceptance, empowerment and change.
He has helped countless clients to face/overcome a range of trauma based conditions such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Depression, Anxiety, Paranoia, Addictions, Suicide Ideation, Bereavement and Phobias. He has also been central in helping clients work toward Self- Actualisation and to help them achieve their full potential in a myriad of settings and life situations.
He feels that he has developed an understanding, therapeutic and supportive model – with Havening at it’s very core – which he feels, enables his clients to ‘erase’ a wide range of emotional disturbances and encoded psychological traumas with a focus on wellness, stress management, ‘peak performance’ and most importantly an ongoing ‘self-help’ model.
With soaring levels of mental health issues in the modern world today it has become a topical issue with a number of prominent public figures getting behind the movement to raise awareness around the issue. Mental health is very much looked at differently from physical health and unfortunately there is a generational stigma attached to seeking help meaning that many suffer in silence sometimes with fatal consequences. Michael Bird is at the coal face of this epidemic and has been for the past 20 years in various facets of the mental health sphere. In this my discussion with Michael we find out about a new and powerful technique that he is using to rid his clients of long term mental health issues – Amygdala depotentiation better known as the Havening Technique.
A big part of reaching your true potential is removing the baggage and shackles that have held you back until now – in this episode we show you how.
In this interview Michael and I discuss:
- The current state of metal health in the UK and Western World.
- How mental health problems are at epidemic levels right now with depression, suicide, anxiety and substance abuse.
- The part, social media, family networks and support services are playing in this epidemic.
- Why working with clients on an individual level is so important in dealing with mental health issues.
- The different pharmaceutical and therapeutic approaches to mental health.
- How the pharmaceutical way of dealing with mental health often causes more problems than it solved.
- Michaels interest in psychosomatic illness and the mind – body connection.
- Differing approaches to mental health in the Eastern and Western hemisphere.
- How information that is readily available to treat mental health conditions is not being made available to patients before pills.
- The subjective unit of distress and how it differs from person to person along with its use as a guage of distress.
- The fight or flight repsonsed and how it has become hypersensitised in the modern world against ‘perceived threat’.
- How mental health clients can become very frustrated in trying to work against their evolutionary biology.
- The Havening Technique (Amygdala Depotentiation ) and how Michael first discovered it along with how its used in practice to great success.
- How the Havening Technique takes the trauma away from any stressful situation.
- Why stimuli shape the meanings we give to any situation, and when escapability highlights trauma which in turn puts the body on lockdown after major trauma.
- How removing trauma can accelerate your personal development journey.
- The Havening Techniques use in many negative emotions such as addictions and phobias, and why it is a treatment that works on emotion alone rather than memories and fears.
- The techniques practical use with children to promote taking responsibility for ones own actions and prevent mental health issues further down the line.
Stuff we discussed during our interview:
How you can link up with Michael