Arthur Joseph, M.A. founder and chairman of the Vocal Awareness institute, is widely recognized as one of the world’s foremost communication strategists and authorities on the human voice.
A renowned teacher/mentor, his mission is To Change the World through Voice.
His trademarked proprietary voice and leadership training program, Vocal Awareness, is designed to teach Communication Mastery through a disciplined regimen of highly-specific techniques designed to cultivate an embodied and enhanced leadership presence, as well as personal presence, through body language techniques, vocal warm-ups, and storytelling skills.
What emerges is an integrative and integral communication style.
Arthurs client list is a who’s who of world-famous celebrities–including Sean Connery, Angelina Jolie, Pierce Brosnan, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Emmitt Smith, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He has trained broadcasters and executives at the NFL Network, NBA, MLB, ESPN, Fox, and NBC, as well as business leaders at Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Disney, Toyota, Ritz-Carlton, and the Federal Reserve Bank, among others.
In his book Vocal Leadership, Arthur shares all his secrets to Communication Mastery for Empowerment Through Voice. Vocal Leadership provides proven techniques and daily exercises to help you develop a commanding voice and presence, and improve vocal quality, mental acuity, body language, and Self-esteem to dramatically increase your influence.
The greatest fears in society are not fear of public speaking but fear of abandonment and ownership of our powerArthur Joseph
In our conversation we discuss the following:
- How Arthur teaches that voice is power, and when you own your voice you own your power.
- When we speak we just talk, and he teaches that communication mastery is fundamental to the sound of your voice being your own instrument.
- He wants us to be mindful of what we say and how we say it.
- How voice is power and why people have abdicated responsibility for the way in which they use their words.
- We don’t realise how much effort it takes to be ourselves.
- The greatest fears in society are not fear of public speaking but fear of abandonment and ownership of our power.
- The messages we get as children that we cannot be ourselves and how we are taught not to be ourselves.
- In vocal awareness we work on stature and source to make it safe to speak.
- As we are socially conditioned we are told in many different ways, who we are is not acceptable.
- In vocal awareness we create a persona statement and how do I believe I am presently perceived, and how would I ideally like to be known?
- This raises the interesting point that we have a choice – to choose to do something or not to, in vocal awareness Arthur teaches empowerment through voice – does this choice empower us or disempower us.
- We are not practiced in being this exposed, in his work he is working on sovereignty so we don’t need permission to be who we are.
- Freedom without direction is chaos, power develops out of freedom, freedom out of letting go and letting go out of knowledge.
- How Arthur teaches that it’s all about the breath and eye contact and this becomes his starting point in teaching people.
- When working with Tony Robbins, Tony referred to Arthurs 7 rituals as pattern interrupts, he would say “to create a new pattern you have to exaggerate a pattern to replace an old one”.
- Eye contact is very important on many levels, emotionally & psychologically.
- Why in the early days it is important to self-correct when you catch yourself getting into bad habits.
- One of the key things is that a champion does it differently. To be a champion one must be audacious.
- How history has meant we have evolved towards losing our interacting skills, and Arthur is trying to awaken us to an opportunity, to a challenge, to a responsibility to how we communicate.
- Whether it’s for a job interview, first date, running for office, Arthur wants us to hold ourselves and others accountable.
- How Arthur is steadfastly committed to bringing out what is possible in people.
- Why the likes of Albert Finney and Sean Connery, really let him teach them and how they wanted not to be perfect, but excellent, and vocal awareness is the glue that sticks this together.
- Allowing people to embody what their persona statement says is the most challenging people for most people during vocal awareness.
- How the rituals that Arthur teaches are instrumental in allowing your sovereignty
- Why we truly don’t realise how much work it takes to be ourselves while others watch.
- Working with Nick Faldo in preparing for The Masters, Arthur realised it’s about each hole, and each step, as what he teaches are not just athletic principles but life principles.
- Why you must write out a vision and goal statement and practice delivering on it.
Freedom without direction is chaos, power develops out of freedom, freedom out of letting go and letting go out of knowledgeArthur Joseph
Stuff Arthur and I mentioned in our conversation:
Arthurs course Visual Voice Pro 2.0 – make sure to use the offer code: 100OFFVIP
This course teaches you step by step how Arthur helps his top clients prepare their vocal presentations, live calls and broadcasts, and professional speeches by using Visceral Language annotations (it’s like musical notes for speeches, that tell you exactly how to say each word for maximum impact!)
How you can reach out to Arthur
How you can get involved with Positive Impact